Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Photography 101 - Basic Equipment (part 1)

I've been interested in photography for some time, especially after Peanut's birth. Every holiday card we've sent out since 2010 has featured a photo that I've taken using a terrific hand-me down cropped frame DSLR, courtesy of my brother-in-law, shot in full automatic mode.


Camera

Now that baby #2 is on the way, I'd really like to improve my photography skills. The best way to do that is to shoot only in manual mode. Although any DSLR camera would do at this beginning stage, I bought myself a new camera (I bought myself this one) to motivate myself and for the past month, have shot only in manual. To further educate myself on my equipment, I'm reading the owner's manual and this DSLR guide book. It's slow going.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lenses

After I finish my initial reading, I'm rewarding myself with a new lens! I currently own a single lens, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens (aka the "nifty-fifty"). I was really impressed with this lens when I first bought it 2 years ago, but now I'm craving more. I'd either like to upgrade to another prime lens or try a zoom lens. These are the lenses that I'm considering and/or would eventually like in my lens kit (with suggested prices from the Canon website):
Photography is an expensive hobby.

Card Reader

A second recent purchase that I highly recommend and which is seldom mentioned is an inexpensive card reader (I use this one by Kingston). It's been working great and helps to save my camera battery as well as prevent me from leaving my expensive camera on my desk, where Peanut can easily reach.

Camera Bag

Finally, the last piece of equipment on my basics list is a good camera bag. Cameras and lenses aren't cheap so protecting the equipment is high priority. Plus, who can resist buying a new bag? I haven't purchased a stand-alone bag yet as my mother-in-law gave me a camera insert (I have this one from ONA) last year for Christmas and I'm still doing my research on the perfect bag.

Miscellaneous

I have yet to invest in or use any other equipment, such as a flash, hoods, filters, or even a tripod. So far, these 4 basic items have been enough to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment